Wednesday 19 March 2008

Back with some tofu!


Apologies for the lack of recent posts- I'll try to make up for it though! Here I have some scrambled tofu heaped on toast. This is my own recipe I've experimented with for it(whyowhy do so many recipe books use grated carrot?! Ewww!)-

250g block tofu(I use cauldron 'cos it crumbles really well so it's ideal for scrambles!)
One onion, diced
1 heaped tsp turmeric
4 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
6 tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste

-saute the onion in 4 tbsp olive oil in a pan over a high heat
-crumble the tofu in with your fingers
-sprinkle the turmeric and nutritional yeast over the top, then the other 2 tbsp olive oil, then stir till it's well absorbed
-stir-fry for about 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, then serve over toast and sprinkle with salt

This here is Veganomicon's Curried Tofu, served with Vegan with a Vengeance's garlicky roasted brussels' sprouts, and some frozen onion rings (Morrisons own brand- they're vegan! ;)) It was quite nice, and I meant to use the leftovers for sandwiches with the curried mayo serving suggestion, but, er..., as the lolcats would say, the leftovers; we eated them...

3 comments:

Tuimeltje said...

Oooh, tofu! I've been meaning to scramble me some of that for ages, but I never seem to get around to it. One day, though...

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Thanks for the recipe, I've been meaning to try something more interesting during my mornings!

DJ said...

Love tofu and I agree with you completely about using cauldron for scambles - mori-nu just turns into mush! and yay Morrisons for making their onion rings vegan!