Saturday 10 January 2009

Pictures that might make you hungry, and a creamy mushroom sauce recipe

This tasty little treat pictured above is a Delightful Date Square from How It All Vegan. Very easy and tasty, and the authors noted that all the dates and oats provide plenty iron...! Thanks, that makes me feel better about digging in, then! :)
Garlic Granary Bread! As Peter Kay would say, it's the future! I photographed this because it looked particularly pretty and appetising. The Granary Cob was from Morrisons' bakery- there aren't any ingredients listed on it but I quizzed one of the in-store bakers and he assured me it was vegan. I just make the garlic marge freestyle by getting enough Pure marge that would give each slice a thick coat, and mixing in a few clove-sized squirts of garlic puree, plenty sea salt, and a pinch of black pepper and basil.
After a healthy watercress salad starter, I made a rich and not quite so healthy entree of my creamy mushroom pasta(recipe below) and (since I'm taste-testing my way through all the vegan items in the range!) a Grassingtons Chicken-style fillet in tomato and herb marinade, which was delicious but quite pricey and small. We thought it was quite "meaty", though I've not eaten meat in about 15 years, Jay in about 3, so we're not sure whether it'd fool an omnivore, but who cares? It was tasty for what it was. 3/5, only losing points for price and stingy portions!

Creamy mushroom sauce

(serves 1-2)

150g mushrooms, sliced(I used button, but most varieties would do I think)
15g vegan margarine(I used Pure)
1 clove of garlic, crushed (or equivalent garlic paste)
8 tbsp soya cream(I used Granose Soya Creem)
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper

- fry the mushrooms and garlic with the margarine in a pan over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until cooked through

-add the soya cream, nutmeg, salt and black pepper, and simmer for a few minutes, then serve

1 comment:

DJ said...

Thanks for the recipe! That pasta looks soooo good - as one of my favourite ways of eating pasta is with a mushroom sauce of some kind I can guarantee I'll be trying it!