Sunday 26 April 2009

Nibbling on cookies with cacao nibs!

I bought a bag of Suma cacao nibs- chocolate in it's purest form!- from a local health food store and decided to make cacao nib cookies with it. I made two kinds, a chewy chocolate cacao nib cookie, above, and oatmeal chocolate cookies, pictured below.

Here are the recipes for both...

Chewy chocolate cacao nib cookies....

115g margarine

125g sugar

1 tsp molasses

2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder

1 tsp vanilla essence

1/4 tsp almond essence

250g plain flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

100g cacao nibs

-preheat oven to 190 C

-in a small bowl, mix margarine, sugar, molasses and vanilla and almond essences

-in a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa baking soda and salt

-add small bowl of mixture and cacao nibs to large bowl and mix well

-scoop spoon sized portions into your hand, roll the dough into a ball and flatten then place on cookie sheet

- bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are slightly browned, and let cool before removing




Oatmeal chocolate cacao nib cookies

1/4 cup sunflower oil

1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups oats
1 cup cacao nibs

-preheat oven to 190 C

-in a small bowl, mix oil, sugar, maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla essence

-in a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt

-add small bowl of mixture, oats and cacao nibs to large bowl and mix well

-scoop spoon sized portions into your hand, roll the dough into a ball and flatten then place on cookie sheet

- bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned, and let cool before removing



5 comments:

Penny said...

These look very nice, Kris! I have a large bag of cacao nibs and I've been grinding them up. Did you find they worked well? They weren't too bitter? I'm thinking I'll try these!

Kris said...

Thanks, they tasted as good as they looked! I found the cacao nibs too bitter to eat on their own, but the sweetness of the cookies balanced out the bitterness nicely.

DJ said...

I was going to ask the same question - I find them a bit much on their own so it's good to hear they taste okay in cookies - much better for you too!!

Mayaveda said...

These are easy and yummy! I substituted with what I had on hand~ coconut oil for sunflower and almond milk for soy. great use for the nibs! thanks~ I'll be making these again.

A Vegan Baker said...

Yummy, yummy! I found some cacao nibs at the store and didn't know what to make with them...now I do!

I made the Chewy chocolate cookies and found the dough a bit dry. Added a few TBS of almond milk and it seemed to help. Kids gobbled them up! (And they won't touch bitter nibs.)

Aside:
As an American baker, this is the first time I used the metric measurements. It is AWESOME if you have a digital scale on hand (like the IKEA one.)