Sunday 9 September 2007

Cookies and din-dins

First up, here are some apricot and almond tea cookies from How it all Vegan, by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. Except that they're mixed chopped nut and apricot cookies, since I used up the last of my chopped almonds for breakfast the other day, with cereal and soya yogurt. Anyway, I digress, they were just as yummy with the mixed nuts. I only made half the quantity in the recipe though, I tend to find cookie quantities in many cookbooks are massive, and that will make me massive too if I eat them all myself!

Next up, a product review, for Goodlife Nut Cutlets-
If you can read the print on the box, it says they're suitable for vegetarians- it also tells you on the back below the ingredients that they're suitable for vegans, which seems silly, why not add "and vegans"to the front?? Another complaint about the printing on the box is the cooking time, it says 20 mins, which does cook them through but leave them a bit soggy- I add another 10 mins to that to get them nice and crispy :) That aside, they're a great standby to have in the freezer for those nights you can't be bothered doing a lot of preparation, and taste pretty damn good served with a nice sauce, like cranberry, ketchup or even mango chutney, or as a burger as shown on the box. 4/5
Here they are served up with a couple of sides from Alternative Vegan by Dino Sarma, potato rounds and basic broccoli. The potato rounds only take a few minutes to prepare and are a cheap, healthy and tasty way to eat potatoes. Between this and my own wedges recipe, I no longer buy frozen packs of potato wedges, when I can make things like this myself!

No comments: